A. Homer Hilsen. First ride

I got out for the "first" ride on the new Rivendell A. H. H. on Memorial Day.  I had ridden it to work a couple of times, but this was what I considered the first "real" ride.

My set up for this bike is unlike any bike I've had before.  In my size, the Hilsen comes with 650b wheels.  650b is a size that, although used widely in touring bikes of the past, is unusual in current bikes.  Bigger than 26", and smaller than 700; they give you the opportunity to use tires that are.......well huge.  I'm running 650x38b tires on this bike, and they are wonderful.  All I can say is that if you usually complain about the roads in/around your town, get bigger tires.  Can't fit bigger tires?  Get a different bike.  You will never go back.  The bars are much higher and,  I've reverted back to a delightfully simple friction bar end shifter.
My companion and I rode for every bit of 2 hours.  We were going at a decent clip, but we weren't killing it.  We were just enjoying a hot, sunny day on some County roads West of the house.  For that kind of riding, I don't know that I've ridden a nicer bicycle......and I've ridden a lot.
I've got a Nitto mini front rack, and one of Riv's Sackville small bags on the front.  Very handy.  I was carrying supplies for both of us, and being able to access things without turning around or getting off the bike was great.
I've got pictures of the bike on our Flickr page here.  I'm sure there will be more to report now that we've actually got some weather suitable for riding.

Ride on!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why are bikes so expensive?

Daily Drivers

All hail the simple basket