National Bike Summit 2013

This originally appeared in the INDYCOG newsletter.  Get involved with bike advocacy, join INDYCOG!






I wasn't there when it was born. I didn't see its first step or hear it first speak. But this week, I think I saw bike advocacy grow up.
I attended my first National Bike Summit last year. It was contentious. We were fighting to keep the dedicated funding that others had worked so hard to attain. We were greeted with polite nods, and a sometimes dismissive attitude. One representative refused to see us.
This year, we not only met with staff, but with members themselves. They were interested, engaged and (do I dare to say?) supportive. What a difference a year makes.
Now, it could be that we weren't asking for funding like we were last year. I'm sure that's part of it. But I heard the word "tipping point" several times. Legislators are seeing the success cities like Indianapolis are having. Good politicians are nothing if not nimble. They will follow public opinion like a reed follows the wind. Each of you reading this have a hand in this changing attitude. The policy makers have heard us, and are seeing the fruits of our labor. We must redouble our efforts. Now is not the time to rest.
One member of Congress said that we were well ahead of politicians with regard to transportation. From what I saw at this years summit, I think they may be catching up.

--Chris Wiggins, board president

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Drivers

All hail the simple basket

A dance in the dirt