A vacation on two wheels

There are pluses, and minuses to owning your own business.  I'm sure the same can be said for lots of things.  One of the pluses (especially if you have a seasonal business) is off season travel.  I had logged enough air miles to circle the globe 3 or 4 times by the time I signed up for my Trek Travel vacation.

I don't know that I had ever thought about riding my bike as being a vacation.  I guess it had been too close to my work for too long.  My time in the saddle had severely diminished since becoming an owner, and I wanted to get back on the bike.  This seemed like a perfect opportunity to kill two birds with one stone. 

I am not used to being.......pampered.  This was something I had to get over pretty quickly.  Ever wonder what's it like to get up in the morning to find that your tires had been pumped up, and your bottles filled?  That was the daily routine.  Our guides Dan and Jess did everything.  It's funny, you get used to it pretty quickly.

I've had some time to reflect on this trip.  It has become what I think riding your bike should be.....enjoyment.  There was no thought or concern about going fast enough.  The group would split apart, and then come back together.  We ate together.  We ate a lot.  Spain has some of the most unbelievable food, and I'm pretty sure that the daily mileage didn't offset the daily calorie intake.  It was a great vacation with a daily bike ride.  It was ruins, and castles, art and the deep blue water of the Med.  It was truly the cycling vacation of a lifetime.  The trouble is, one of these trips would never be enough.  Tuscany has been scheduled for next October.  I look forward to more great food, more great wine, history, camaraderie.......and my bike.  Guess I need to start riding again.

Thanks for reading.

Chris

www.a1cyclery.com
www.facebook.com/a1cyclery
www.twitter.com/a1cyclery

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why are bikes so expensive?

Let's give thanks

Daily Drivers