The compact crank (and what it means to you)

*Originally posted at www.a1cyclery.com 

Since my last Tri Club presentation, I’ve had a couple of people ask me to further explain why I chose to use a compact crank on my new road bike.  They specifically were interested in why I chose to run the chainring sizes I am running (42/50 and now settled on 40/50).  I thought it would be better to put “pen to paper”, and put it in writing for all to see.

I’m older now (NOT old though), and I’m not going to be pushing a 53 tooth big chainring anymore.  I don’t ride enough, and I don’t want to hurt that much anymore.  So, the 50t big ring was attractive. However, the 34t little ring that comes with most, if not all, compact cranks is not (IMO) a good choice for Central Indiana.  The primary reason is the terrain is just too flat.  I would spend most of the time in the big ring, and this would limit my gearing choices not expand them.  The other problem with a 34/50 combination is that every front derailleur gear change becomes a double shift.   With the 40/50 I can go from little ring to big ring with no change at the rear derailleur. 

The small chainring I’m running is a very simple Sugino 9spd ring.  It is available in a multitude of sizes.  It works just fine.  These can be had for about $40 installed.

The beauty of this setup comes when you decided to go down South and ride some hills.  Say you’re going to do IM Louisville, the Hilly Hundred etc.  Now all you have to do is swap out your 40 (or 39, or 38), reinstall the 34 that came with the crank (or 36, or 38).  Viola’!  Now you’ve got climbing gears a plenty without changing your cassette. 

This is a setup that is not going to be ideal for the hard chargers out there.  However, if you’re a MOP/BOP’er, it could be just what you’ve been looking for.

Next, motivation willing, we tackle tire pressure.

Ride on!

Chris

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why are bikes so expensive?

Let's give thanks

Daily Drivers