Make mine Brooks

I had poo-poo'd them for years.  Brooks saddles.  How in the world could anyone ride one of those?  Weren't those relevant back before we invented plastic?
I did what most people did when they saw one.  I "knocked" on it.  "God, that's hard", I would say.



I built up this bike a few years ago.  I had just begun playing with "functional" bikes.  As I was nearing completion I thought, "A B17 would look really good on this thing".  I ordered one.

I mounted it on the bike, and it did look good.  Then I had to do a test ride.  I threw my leg over the bike with no small amount of trepidation.  To my shock (and relief), all the horror stories I had heard about Brooks saddles were......unfounded.  It was supportive, not hard, and comfortable.

I have 3 bikes that I ride on a regular basis.  They all have Brooks saddles.  At this point, I can't imagine riding anything else.  Ninety nine percent of my commuting miles this year were done without any kind of padded short (about 11 miles one way, for those interested).  In 25+ years of riding a bicycle, I can't think of any time I would have contemplated that.

Have you ridden a leather saddle?  Have you ever thought about it?  How about a test ride?  I can arrange that.

Ride on!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Drivers

All hail the simple basket

Why are bikes so expensive?