The state of things

I bought a Salsa single speed road bike a couple of years ago.  It seemed like a good idea at the time.  It was simple, made of steel and relatively inexpensive.  I never really took to it.

I've offered it up to a few customers over the last year or so.  None of them really took to it either.  I started playing around with it a couple of days ago.  I installed a different handlebar, put on some different grips and took off the clipless pedals.  You know what?  I love this thing now.

I'm not saying that I'm going to ditch the carbon road bike, or the pedals and shoes. It just seems like having a bike that is easy to ride; a bike that is comfortable to ride just makes sense.
The trend in the industry has been to make the bikes lighter, and stiffer.  Make 'em just like the pro's. 




My sense is that there is a push back coming.  Maybe it's been there all along, and I just didn't notice.  If you could have a bike that had all the component technology, but was comfortable to ride once or twice a week wouldn't you ride it?  Would a couple of extra pounds be a good trade for all day comfort?  Would you ride even more?  Should we expect the person who has a job (that isn't riding bikes), and a family to ride the same bike that a pro rides?  If that's what you want, I say fine.  I love those bikes.  They are sexy as hell.  There are plenty of options out there, and we sell some of the best.  There should be, and is, an alternative.  I believe more are on the way.  We need to start talking about them.

Choice is good.  More people on bikes is better.

Ride on.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why are bikes so expensive?

Let's give thanks

Daily Drivers